These exercises are designed for strengthening the lower back muscles. The most common reason for low back pain, especially seen in the young adult is the change in balance between the muscle tone and the body load. Body load is not only your weight gain alone, but also the stress of day to day activities including sitting in abnormal positions for long hours and abnormal lifting weights. Read more >>
Start with the level 1 (basic) exercises once the acute pain has settled. Then progress to level 2 (more advanced) exercises when you are able to do the first set of exercises easily (usually in a months time). Spend ten minutes for these exercises every day before bath (if possible, do twice a day!). Spending those ten minutes will give more life to your days !.
Spinal Stabilization Exercises Level I (BASIC)
Lie on your back
1. Straight Leg Raises – Lift one leg straight up about 40º, keeping the other leg bend at 90 degrees. Hold for 5 to 10 seconds. Repeat 10 – 20 times.
2. Partial sit-ups – Bend knees about 60ºand lift shoulder and body while keeping the arms stretched in front to touch the knee and hold 5 to 10 seconds Repeat 10 – 20 times.
3. Two leg Bridging – Bend knees about 60º and lift your back straight and hold 5 to 10 seconds. Repeat 10 – 20 times.
4. Static abdominal contraction – Lie on your back with knees bent and hands resting on abdomen. Tighten abdominal muscles toward back. Be sure not to hold breath. Hold 5 to 10 seconds. Relax. Repeat 10 – 20 times.
5. Single Knee to Chest Stretch – Lie on your back Hold thigh behind knee and bring one knee up to chest. Hold 5 to 10 seconds. Relax. Repeat 10 times on each side.
6. Pelvic rolling – Lie on back bend your knee about 60º and turn knee to right and left side. Repeat 20 times.
7. Supported dead bug exercise – Lie on your back with a neutral spine and your hips and knees at right angles. With your palms press onto your thighs just above your knees. Hold 5 to 10 seconds. Relax. Repeat 10 times on each side.
Lie on your abdomen
8. Prone straight leg raising – Lift one leg straight up about 10º and hold 5 to 10 seconds. Repeat 10 – 20 times on each side
9. Push up to elbow – Lift your head and chest up to elbow and hold 5 to 10 seconds. Repeat 10 – 20 times.
10. Quadruped cat and camel – standing on both knee and hand and raise and lower your back.
Click on the links below to Download Exercise charts